Translate

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Simple Luxuries in Life

June 18, 2016

Last night I was laying in my bed, after our third full day of clinic, debating with myself about what I missed the most about America:
-My bed
-English
Or
- Flushing toilet paper

God must have been listening to my diva thoughts and brought to my attention how these people don't get those luxuries and this is their lives. The people of Peru have huge families of 4-5 young children and young mothers of early 20s. If I live here I would have 5 children by now. It's amazing watching how free spirited they are nursing in public, children running everywhere, and laughing at everything. This is a tight knit community, everyone seems to know everyone helps people communicate with us when they don't understand. Sometimes mothers or grandmothers will bring other children from their neighborhoods if they're parents cannot come.

It's humbling to understand how they can live in such a poor area and still make the best of all situations and keep a good demeanor. One grandmother came in with her grandson who was blind, deaf, and unable to walk. He was 7 and she was carrying him over her shoulder. It was so moving that she brought him in the receive treatment. They truly care for each other and understand the importance of love and compassion.

God has brought me here for more reasons than just providing health care but to understand how lucky I am and how he's given me abilities to help even His poorest people and I'm thankful for this eye opening experience.


Submitted by Oliva W.
All

No comments:

Post a Comment